Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How I Approach Music

"I long to live in restful sincerity of heart. I want to live so fully in the Spirit that all my thoughts may be as sweet incense ascending to Thee and every act of my life may be an act of worship." -A.W. Tozer

Sitting behind the set this Sunday, my heart still beating quickly, rhythmically although my drumsticks were now still, I listened to the words above which were a part of our Sunday worship. 


 I was still, every part of me, and God reminded me, once again, that playing these drums is for Him. Sometimes I look at everyone sitting out there and think about them, I think about me and my performance, me and my lacking.

But most often I am thinking about both my heavenly Dad and my earthly Dad.

My dad played the drums at our church.

 I close my eyes and feel the music and I think about the time one of my teenage friends said: "When your dad closes his eyes and plays, it's like he is worshiping God while he is drumming."



That is what I want each tap of the high hat, each boom of the bass, each hit of the snare, and brush of the cymbal to be, a worshipful act.

I want my life to be music that evokes a sweet longing in others and a smile on God's face.

Music, for me, is the handiwork of God. Creative genius that He has given someone whether they know it or not. It flows throughout me, I cannot help but dance, whether the action is visible to anyone else I do not know.

Music is constantly in my head whether there is any outside of it. I've embarrassed friends by breaking into song in public places. I skip and I sing, I smile and twirl. My son and I throw rhymes back and forth on a regular basis. I often accompany words with a beat and a jig when talking to him.  

In Heaven no restraint will be needed. 

I will burst into song when I get there and my feet will continually dance along the streets of gold.

And God will say: "Emily, your life was beautiful music.I'm glad to have you home."

1 comment:

Story Lover 24601 said...

What a gift you are, Emily!! <3

Follow me on Twitter