Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Floating Bookshelves; Make Bookshelves Out of Books


One of my favorite rooms in our house is our library. 

It is filled with books, cozy, and a reflection of our personality.

I believe strongly in continually learning no matter how old you are and books are just waiting to be read and all their information soaked up. 

The owl rug has a whole post dedicated to its creation. 

The walls are wood paneling that are covered with three coats of Kilz and two coats of Behr Silver Dust. I cleaned and covered the couch. Put up a great statement about our family in wood letters that I painted and hung.

 But the individual project I am most proud of is the floating bookshelves I made above the couch. I plan on making another row as soon as the novelty of pulling books down wears off for Elijah. 

Here is a picture of our library.

Our Library


I can take the credit for the design of our library but not the idea of the floating bookshelves. I found a how-to video after long searching for some cool floating shelves to put above the couch. Although, I felt guilty cutting and gluing books at first, I consoled myself with the idea that these particular books may never have had a home if I had not rescued them. Plus, I am displaying great literature on my wall.  I have a copy of each of the books I used for a shelf in my library and have read most all of them.

Here is the video I used to make the shelves:




No comments:

Follow me on Twitter